Thursday, December 08, 2005

Buh-Bye DHCP

Decided it was time to fix some annoyances with my home network. The wireless router/modem I got from Sympatico does the usual DHCP thing by default. I was getting sick of how DHCP assigns your PC *some* random IP each time. This becomes problematic when trying to SSH to other PC's in the house because I always have to consule the web based router software to lookup the IP of a machine. I feel guilty but actually didn't know how to switch frmo DHCP to static IP's in Windows so I googled around a bit. I found a useful article on About: Disable DHCP and Use Static IP Addresses To Protect Your Wireless Network. Now with static IP's in place, next was to edit the hosts file and give each machine a fancy hostname. There is no way am i bothering running a name server for 3 PC's, I'm quite happy with just editing the hosts file ~:>

Next up is getting FreeDNS straightend up, followed by apache.

No comments: