Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Realistic Reaction System

I stumbled across a paper that serves as a follow up to my undergrad thesis project (Unreal Relation System) that I did in 2004-2005. It was written as Proceedings of the 2005 GameOn North America Conference, Montreal, Canada, August 2005. They have taken my work and used it as the core of their new work with artificial-intelligence in games. They have built on top of it some very interesting features like a 'Relation Manager' for accessing the 'Relation System' I architected in a more abstracted way. The manager provides implementations of certain heuristics for dealing with the core relation network data. They have also added 'Mood Filters' for handling how particular Non-Player-Characters deal with negative/neutral/positive relationships over time. For example an optimistic person might have a negative perception of another person but this perception may shift to neutral over a short time. The reasoning is that since they are optimistic it is likely they will give the person a second chance and not judge them forever on their actions. I find it quite exciting to see how development is progressing at such a rapid pace and will keep my eye on it in the future.

No comments: